Saturday, August 13, 2011

Friday Finds: A Baker's Dozen

My stay lapsed into the lunch hour while visiting my dear friend Laura this Friday, and I was so delighted with the lunch that she served, that I couldn't help but take her idea, make it myself, and then post about it here. (She doesn't blog, so I don't think she would mind me blabbing blogging about it...)

On the menu: Homemade black bean burritos with rice...fresh out of the freezer! She figured that she and her hubby were losing a lot of cash when they snacked on the store-bought organic frozen burritos, so she decided to just make some herself and freeze them! Genius! Delicious, easy, and CHEAP! I just made my batch today and ended up with 13 burritos which will be great for lunches at work. The whole process took a while, but the time it will save me in packing and preparing lunch will be worth the time it took today.

It didn't occur to me to blog about this until I had them in the baggies ready to freeze so that's the only picture I have to share, but here's what I did...
  • 1 c. dried black beans (I made from scratch with garlic powder, cumin, salt, and chicken bouillon, but you could cut corners and used canned beans too...I added a small can of green chiles near the end)
  • 1 c. uncooked rice (I added cilantro and lemon juice after it was cooked; no lime on hand, boo.)
  • 1/2 red pepper and 1 small onion, diced and sauteed
  • grated cheddar and pepper-jack cheese
  • salsa
  • tortillas
I cooked the beans and rice earlier in the day and didn't get to making the burritos until right after Karamea went to bed, which worked out great! I think it simplified the process having the ingredients cooled for assembly. 
 
I'm so glad that Laura shared her cost-effective, time-saving meal idea with me and it makes me curious; how do you cut corners on food costs and prep time?
Photobucket

3 comments:

Tara Brown said...

Thanks for the idea!!! I will be making these for Aaron - he will love it for lunches (and I'm sure I will sneak one every now and then too)!! The crock pot and fresh fruit frozen smoothies are my 2 favorite short cuts - using a frozen banana instead of ice is creamy and delicious!

Rebecca said...

I have a great recipe for mini meatloafs. You make them in cupcake pans and then you can freeze them. When you need a meal you just pull out how ever many servings you need and micro. The reheat really nice.

I also always double a casserole recipe and freeze half for another meal or lunches for Pete for the week.

Tara Brown said...

Did crock pot pork, tomatoes, taco seasoning and a little broth for tonight's dinner and then turned the rest into pre made burritos!!! Thanks again for the inspiration!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...