(click on picture for a larger version)I recently took part in a Christmas ornament exchange that connected people across the blogosphere. Thinking about Christmas ornaments a little more than usual made me realize that I should write a post about our eclectic collection. We have so many sentimental, meaningful ornaments, and, as we add more every year, I am realizing that I want to remember the stories behind some of our more special ornaments, and so I wanted to write about them here. Some are handmade, some aren't even intended to be ornaments, and I think only one or two are alike. Not all are sentimental, tough. We even use the paper tags that came with the tree marking sections A, B, and C as ornaments because they are kid-friendly and it doesn't matter if they take them off and relocate them. (Right now, the lower half of our tree looks somewhat sparsely decorated, thanks to a certain 1.5 year old (ahem, Kaylee) doing just that. I have found them in the most random places recently! It's nice to be able to relax and just let kids be kids sometimes.)
The fact that we have quite the random collection is due mostly to the way in which we acquire them. Each year, we buy or make an ornament or two based on something big that we did that year, whether it was a trip, a family milestone, or just the general milieu of the year. I actually started this tradition before we started dating...the first ornament I have is from my first trip to Kodiak in 2000 when I met Mark. (Awwww....)
First Row:
2. Washington DC Capitol Building (2001) - I got this one to remember my internship that summer running exchange student orientations and living on the Georgetown University campus.
3. Wooden ornaments (2001) - Memories from a short (and cold!) post-Christmas trip to Prague with my sister and a dear friend from Germany.
4. Lace bell (2001) - Commemorates the Christmas Carrie and I spent in Hoyerswerda, Germany with my sister and the family of the exchange student who lived with my family when I was in Germany in 1997.
5. Huichol beaded egg (2002) - Mark and I bought this at a market on our New Year's trip to Mexico to visit friends shortly after we got engaged.
6. Wooden ornament (2003) - We got married! This one adorned a present we received at our wedding.
1. Sheep (2004) - Mark won this little guy for being a volunteer in a sheep farm tour we did on our honeymoon trip to New Zealand. Unfortunately, the sheep got chewed on a little bit by one of my parents' dogs after our return. At least he wasn't damaged too much to keep. :)
2. Hand-painted ornaments that I made and gave as gifts to our couples' group (2005) - I'm glad I did this so I have something to remember the group by at Christmastime. We grew a lot spiritually and in our marriage through the group and it holds a special place in my heart.
3. Red moose (2006) from our trip to Glenwood Springs and Aspen that January. We were on a shoestring budget and actually slept in bunk beds at the youth hostel in Glenwood Springs (at least we had our own room!).
4. Wooden butterfly (2006?) - Made by Mark's uncle Ewen who passed away in 2007.
5. Infant socks (2007) - We wrapped these and gave them as a gift to our parents that Christmas to announce our pregnancy with Karamea!
5. Infant socks (2007) - We wrapped these and gave them as a gift to our parents that Christmas to announce our pregnancy with Karamea!
6. Turquoise star (2008) - from our Easter trip to Santa Fe, NM. A souvenir from our last trip as a couple before kids.
Third Row:
1. Karamea's first Christmas (2008) - (with recorded laugh!)
2. Russian painted egg (2009) - from our day trip on the Ski Train to Winter Park with Karamea
Third Row:
1. Karamea's first Christmas (2008) - (with recorded laugh!)2. Russian painted egg (2009) - from our day trip on the Ski Train to Winter Park with Karamea
3. Kaylee's first Christmas (2010) - the little bear depicts what Kaylee was doing last Christmas-crawling and reaching for everything!
4. Kodiak Crab Festival keychain (2010) - This was the first crab festival for Karamea, Kaylee, and me! We had a blast!
4. Kodiak Crab Festival keychain (2010) - This was the first crab festival for Karamea, Kaylee, and me! We had a blast!
5. Photo ornament (2010) of my dad's huge rope light Christmas tree. He was so proud of this tree that stood over 20 feet high! It seemed fitting to remember his joy for Christmas by having this ornament made and we also gave it to my mom and siblings.
6. Mt. McKinley (2011) - I bought this to remember the trip I took to Denali last summer with my mom and siblings to spread some of my dad's ashes.
And here are the ornaments I sent to my partner for the ornament exchange. I bought the candy cane and then happened upon an old craft project and painted the snowflake one. It was a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit!




2 comments:
What a neat idea! I LOVE it! I really enjoyed the ornament exchange too
That is great! We do the same thing with ornaments. It's so fun to pull them out every year and remember when we got them.
Post a Comment