Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking back, Looking ahead

Last year, I reflected on a biblical passage as I looked forward to the new year. In 2011, I hoped to give thanks in everything. For the most part, I believe I was able to maintain a grateful heart through the ups and downs. This year, I decided to focus my reflection on major themes that stand out as I look back over 2011 and look ahead to what 2012 may bring.

Looking back over 2011:
GROWTH...I experienced growth in so many ways in 2011. Spiritually, I grew through my regular participation in the women's bible study I joined in Fall 2010. We stayed involved in our couples' group. I read several books that really helped me see life as a spiritual adventure. Personally, I grew as a wife and mom through the daily joys and trials of life. Professionally, I presented for the first time at a conference in February (and then again in November), I mentored a student teacher for the first time in my five year teaching career, and grew through my interactions with students every day in the classroom.

TRUST...Because of some of complications with high blood pressure after Kaylee's birth, I was somewhat, no, very fearful as Mark and I considered trying for a third baby. It took a lot of prayer and time for me to trust that we weren't taking a huge risk, and that no matter what, everything would work out for the good. Letting go of the fear I had been holding onto was absolutely freeing. So far, everything is going smoothly with the pregnancy (I am exactly 32 weeks along today!)

PROGRESS...I love the fact that my blog continues to be a great tool for chronicling our life and my thoughts as we travel this journey together. I have never journaled consistently (despite many failed attempts!), so I consider it a success that I have found a way to keep up with it. Not that quantity is more important than quality, but I was surprised that I posted almost twice as many times in 2011 than I did in 2010. On the home front, Mark has made great strides in some of the home improvement projects (some planned, others forced to the top of the to-do list by necessity.)

Looking ahead to 2012:
NEW BEGINNINGS...as we add a son to our family in February. We are all so excited to meet him and are looking forward to life as a family of five!

PERSEVERANCE...for continual self improvement in the quest of becoming better parents and knowing how to best parent our two (soon to be three) little miracles to bring out the best in them and to give them skills to become who they are meant to be. They bring us such joy, but challenge us at times too.

HOPE AND FAITH...how the rest of the year will unfold is fairly uncertain as we look ahead. My job is always reliant upon good numbers of students signing up at registration, and with uncertain times ahead in the school district where I teach, many are concerned with how they will be impacted. Also, our income from the fishing season is out of our hands and we have to trust in God's provision. I learned from my dad's experience to never take health for granted and I am always aware of what a gift good health is. Hopefully we will all maintain our good health in the coming year. We hope and have faith that 2012 will bring new blessings and journeys we can't even imagine.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Wishing you all the best for 2012,
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...