It has been a busy October, and Halloween seems like it just popped up from out of nowhere. I haven't spent much time thinking about it because I knew we already had the girls' costumes ready to go. Luckily for us, my mom had saved some costumes she made when we were little (2 bonus points for grandma: 1) she actually MADE costumes and 2) she saved them for future generations. You're the best, Mom!)
The kids tried them on last Sunday to be sure they fit, and they got to strut their stuff on Saturday downtown at the Halloween Family Fun Festival. Karamea was a Monk Parakeet (my sister had one named Emerald when we were kids), and Kaylee was a pumpkin. Merrick wore a Tigger snowsuit. (We've since borrowed a cow costume from a friend for him to wear on Halloween.) It was so much fun and felt very special to use costumes that I remember from my childhood.
Not every picture turned out (big surprise...), but one of them captured a sweet moment with Merrick looking adoringly at me, and it just melts my heart every single time I look at it. Every. Single. Time.
On Sunday, my sister Carrie came over to carve pumpkins with us. She carved Karamea's pumpkin, complete with eyelashes and a flower, Mark carved Kaylee's, and I rinsed and then roasted pumpkin seeds for us to snack on.
Merrick was working on his crawling skills in the living room for a bit and then joined in the kitchen us to supervise from the high chair. He just started getting up on all fours the other day, but isn't crawling yet.
The finished products:

The kids tried them on last Sunday to be sure they fit, and they got to strut their stuff on Saturday downtown at the Halloween Family Fun Festival. Karamea was a Monk Parakeet (my sister had one named Emerald when we were kids), and Kaylee was a pumpkin. Merrick wore a Tigger snowsuit. (We've since borrowed a cow costume from a friend for him to wear on Halloween.) It was so much fun and felt very special to use costumes that I remember from my childhood.
We met up with my friend, Laura, who snapped a few family photos with her camera.
Not every picture turned out (big surprise...), but one of them captured a sweet moment with Merrick looking adoringly at me, and it just melts my heart every single time I look at it. Every. Single. Time.
On Sunday, my sister Carrie came over to carve pumpkins with us. She carved Karamea's pumpkin, complete with eyelashes and a flower, Mark carved Kaylee's, and I rinsed and then roasted pumpkin seeds for us to snack on.
Merrick was working on his crawling skills in the living room for a bit and then joined in the kitchen us to supervise from the high chair. He just started getting up on all fours the other day, but isn't crawling yet.
The finished products:
Even though the temperature is supposed to be near 70 degrees for us this Halloween, we're still planning on enjoying our traditional meal of Chicken and Dumplings before we take the kids out for a little trick-or-treating. Happy Halloween!









1 comment:
I just made chicken and dumplings for diner tonight, so yummy! The kiddos look so cute all dressed up and that picture of Merrick looking at you is SO stinking cute! Also, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever, I miss your smiling face! Hopefully I'll see you soon! :)
Post a Comment