Saturday, April 20, 2013

Snow Ice Cream

At first, I was none too thrilled about the recent winter storm that rolled through our area last Monday through Wednesday, dumping over a foot and a half of snow. I even went as far as writing a haiku expressing my thoughts on the storm as it was just getting started:

April snow showers
Freeze and kill the May flowers
Winter go away


Sure, we're in need of moisture, but I'm a little sad about the fact that all of my flowers are frozen underneath that snow. First world problem, I know, but they still bring me joy...usually. Not this year, I guess. Hopefully the increase in snow pack will help alleviate the drought this summer and minimize the number of wild fires in the state.
See that bump on top of the table? That's a buried ruler...
With all that snow, we decided to turn lemons into lemonade, or in this case, snow into ice cream. I had heard of others doing this, so I looked up the recipe online, we mixed it up, and voila! SNOW ICE CREAM! Then we cranked up the Christmas music as we watched more white stuff fall outside our window...It's hard to believe that it is mid-April.
 Here's the recipe we used:
1 big bowl full of snow
~1 cup sugar
~ 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup cream or milk (we used half milk, half cream, but next time I would do all cream, since we're splurging anyway.

I can't believe I had never tried this before in my life! I think we have a new tradition whenever we get massive amounts of snow...
Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

yum! I've gotta try this! Though probably not with the remaining dirty snow next to my driveway...maybe next winter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...