Over the past few years, I have happened to wake up before the rest of the family on Christmas Eve, and had the chance to reflect on the meaning of the Christmas holiday before the hustle and bustle really begin. The message that echoes in my heart this morning as I ponder Christmas and the faith that keeps me celebrating the miracle and promise of Christ's birth every year is:
Listen, Trust, and Follow.
Mark and I checked out the 2007 movie Evan Almighty from the library yesterday, and even though it isn't a holiday film, and a little of the theology is a bit off, something about it resonated with me. In case you haven't seen it, here is a brief synopsis: Evan Baxter (Steve Carell, in all his comedic glory) is a man who is a successful news anchor turned congressman, getting ready to start his new life in Washington, DC, until he starts receiving strange deliveries of wooden mallets, saws, lumber, and a visit from God (Morgan Freeman) telling him to build an ark. All kinds of animals come to him two by two, and within a matter of days, he has a beard of biblical proportions. Even though the signs are undeniable, and he can't help but listen to God, Evan resists God at first and tries to press on with his own plans. He eventually trusts God and follows, saving the day and reconnecting with his family, and they all live happily ever after...
In reality, we rarely receive signs that are as obvious as those in the movie, and our problems and the challenges in our lives are rarely resolved in a 90 minute span of time, but I still walk away from it feeling called to listen, trust, and follow God's plan for my life rather than my own. Even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of the world. That is what we are all called to do, and this Christmas Eve, I see this truth reflected in the stories of the individuals who were involved in the first Christmas and Jesus' birth.
Like Mary, who listened to the angel, trusted God, and followed, even though going along with His plan could have resulted in being stoned to death.
Like Joseph, who though doubtful at first, listened to the angel and his dream, trusted God and Mary, and supported his future bride, despite the fact that being associated with her could bring public shame and stigma.
Like the innkeeper, who listened to the plight of the young couple and gave them what room he had, even though it was just a stall.
Like the shepherds, who listened to the praises of angel choirs and flocked to come and worship the newborn king.
Like the wise men, who listened to the prophecies about the coming Lord, and embarked on a long, arduous journey simply to see and honor the newborn King.
---
I may not receive visits from angels or miraculous signs that are undeniable, so I will have to practice my listening skills in order to put the other two steps into practice, but this Christmas, and in the coming year, I will do my best to listen, trust and follow God wherever He may lead me.
I would love to ponder this and write more, but it is time to run. The family is waking up and I'm moments away from the girls rushing down the stairs...
Merry Christmas!

Listen, Trust, and Follow.
Mark and I checked out the 2007 movie Evan Almighty from the library yesterday, and even though it isn't a holiday film, and a little of the theology is a bit off, something about it resonated with me. In case you haven't seen it, here is a brief synopsis: Evan Baxter (Steve Carell, in all his comedic glory) is a man who is a successful news anchor turned congressman, getting ready to start his new life in Washington, DC, until he starts receiving strange deliveries of wooden mallets, saws, lumber, and a visit from God (Morgan Freeman) telling him to build an ark. All kinds of animals come to him two by two, and within a matter of days, he has a beard of biblical proportions. Even though the signs are undeniable, and he can't help but listen to God, Evan resists God at first and tries to press on with his own plans. He eventually trusts God and follows, saving the day and reconnecting with his family, and they all live happily ever after...
In reality, we rarely receive signs that are as obvious as those in the movie, and our problems and the challenges in our lives are rarely resolved in a 90 minute span of time, but I still walk away from it feeling called to listen, trust, and follow God's plan for my life rather than my own. Even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of the world. That is what we are all called to do, and this Christmas Eve, I see this truth reflected in the stories of the individuals who were involved in the first Christmas and Jesus' birth.
Like Mary, who listened to the angel, trusted God, and followed, even though going along with His plan could have resulted in being stoned to death.
Like Joseph, who though doubtful at first, listened to the angel and his dream, trusted God and Mary, and supported his future bride, despite the fact that being associated with her could bring public shame and stigma.
Like the innkeeper, who listened to the plight of the young couple and gave them what room he had, even though it was just a stall.
Like the shepherds, who listened to the praises of angel choirs and flocked to come and worship the newborn king.
Like the wise men, who listened to the prophecies about the coming Lord, and embarked on a long, arduous journey simply to see and honor the newborn King.
---
I may not receive visits from angels or miraculous signs that are undeniable, so I will have to practice my listening skills in order to put the other two steps into practice, but this Christmas, and in the coming year, I will do my best to listen, trust and follow God wherever He may lead me.
I would love to ponder this and write more, but it is time to run. The family is waking up and I'm moments away from the girls rushing down the stairs...
Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment