Friday, March 7, 2014

Merrick's Second Birthday Party

We had a big family party to celebrate Merrick's second birthday last weekend. Mark's parents even happened to be back from visiting family in Minnesota. Altogether, there were 14 of us. (I have yet to host a friend party for any of the kids, and honestly, I find the whole planning of a kid party daunting...but I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon, since Karamea will be turning 6 this summer...Yikes!)

Before everyone arrived, I laid out a few shirts to let him decide what he wanted to wear, and when he saw the orange and brown shirt, he said, "Bronco game!" and grabbed it. Once he heard people arriving, he couldn't get down the stairs fast enough; he was so excited to see everyone. The kids played for a bit while dinner finished baking in the oven, and Aunt Carrie had brought over some fun wands that Merrick used as a racquet to hit the balloons.
We had a nice dinner, and I tried to keep things as simple as possible and we had take and bake pizzas and salad. Then Merrick opened his presents. His sisters were more than happy to oblige in helping him open them...
When he opened the gift from Uncle J,  he exclaimed, "Bronco game!!!" and proceeded to proudly put on the Broncos hat and run around.
Everyone's gifts were so thoughtful and cute. Merrick has certainly appreciated having a few more boy-oriented toys around.
After gifts, we sang happy birthday to him in the kitchen, and I couldn't help but be reminded of the day we gathered together in that room with our family and a cake to find out that we'd be having a boy.
It was a fun evening and the kids were tuckered out afterward; they didn't have any problems going to sleep, even though they had eaten their share of sugar.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...