Saturday, August 23, 2014

Farewell to Summer

I have been absent from my blog for a while; this is a good indicator how little down time I have had lately. The last time I posted was on July 7th. We fished again from July 8-31, then had about 10 days off before I packed up with the girls and headed back to Colorado to start our next adventure: a new school year. So before the memories from this summer fade away like wisps of fog, I need to sit down and spend a little time reflecting back.
I wish I would have had time to journal and write down my musings from the many hours I spent outside this summer. It was a summer full of conversations with God, time pondering on His will, seeking His heart, and just listening. These moments often came when we were in the boat on our way to the area where we fished and all that could be heard was the drone of the outboard motor for half an hour. In the absence of all the trappings of modern life and social media, and without the chatter of small children, I could sit, alone with my thoughts, and soak in the wonder of the scenery around me. Thoughts that would have otherwise have been interrupted by the rhythm and demands of daily life were able to linger in my mind the way a butterfly lingers around a thicket of flowers, gently fluttering here and there, but in no hurry to move on to the next bush.
Fishing, like much of life in Alaska, is a story of hurry up and wait, and so during some of the down time, I was able to read a couple of books, and relish in a little time to relax, since we weren't often able to head back to our cabins in the middle of the day. I also savored a some nice naps, in some of the oddest locations I have ever napped. Several times, we snoozed in our boat (after we had cleaned it out!), and one time we even napped on this beach after eating our picnic lunch.
The most exciting moment of the summer happened one day when we were heading back to our camp mid-day. Someone in the boat sighted a small pod of orcas, and we were able to watch them for a bit as they headed up the bay to their favorite snack stop. This photo was taken with my phone camera, and I didn't have to even zoom in for a this shot:
While we were busy fishing, Grandma and Grandpa had their hands full watching the three kids and holding down the fort by cooking, baking bread for our sandwiches (2 meals a day), and working on fishing gear. The kids, always eager to help, assisted Grandpa in putting corks on a net one day.
A glimpse through my photos helps me remember some of the highlights of the times with the kids; walking to the old cannery, picking berries, and playing on the beach.


We had a very full summer and my heart is overflowing with gratitude for the many blessings we enjoyed: time with family, time to slow down and relax, the opportunity to work hard, living in such a beautiful place; these are just a few of the things I'm thankful for. 

Goodbye, summer. You will be missed!
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...