Saturday, August 23, 2014

First Day of First Grade

For the first time, I was able to take one of my children for their first day of school! Since we had a freshman transition day at the high school, I got my principal's blessing and was able to get away for a little bit and head up the street to drop off Karamea for her first day of first grade. For some reason, starting first grade has seemed like a bigger deal to me than Kindergarten. I think it is because Karamea attended half-day Kindergarten and now that she is at school all day, it is a big deal. I was so excited to be there with her, along with my mom and Kaylee, that I didn't get overcome with emotion or feel sad that she is growing up so fast. I was just happy to be by my little girl's side as she embarks on her next adventure.
The cherry on top is that I was also able to pick her up at the end of the day and hear her first reaction to being at school. When I asked how it was, she replied, "It was great! We had THREE recesses!!!" She proceeded to tell me that she is already feeling really comfortable with her teacher and that she likes her. I thought Karamea would be tired after all the stimulation of being at school all day, but it was quite the opposite. She seemed really revved up about the day and was chatty and bubbly all afternoon and into the evening.

Her teacher sent home a profile sheet for us to fill out, and I got started on it. One of the questions asked about her interests. I had written down, "Horses, running," but didn't get the chance to finish it and pinned it on the bulletin board in our kitchen. Karamea saw the sheet, asked about it, and after I told her it was about her interests, she tole me that I should add reading to the list.

Karamea has been a great help in packing her lunches and has been really responsible about making sure she is ready for the next day by choosing her clothes and packing her backpack. The first three days have been a great success and I think this is the most excited she has ever been about school; I am hopeful that this will continue and that she'll have a great year.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...