This is my 9th year teaching, and back in October, I went on my second business trip ever. The first one was for training in 2007 in Jacksonville, Florida--before children (mostly, anyway; I was actually pregnant with Karamea on that trip.)
This trip took me to sunny Los Angeles, California, and it was an amazingly productive and memorable time. I traveled with a colleague who is also a good friend, and it was great to attend the training together to have someone else to discuss some of the things we were learning (and some of the frustrations as well!). We grew in our friendship, had some really nice conversations, and also enjoyed some down time watching HGTV in our hotel room. One perk was that our room overlooked the courtyard and pool, where we would spend our quiet time in the mornings.

Another reason the time was so wonderful is because I was able to go to the beach twice! The first time was the Santa Monica Pier with my former student and his family, where I dipped my toes in the water, we walked around, and had dinner at a Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier.
The second time at the ocean was with my colleague and another teacher from her school. After the second day of training, we took a $5 shuttle bus to Manhattan Beach, where we relaxed on the sand next to the waves for a bit before finding a hole in the wall sports bar to enjoy dinner, a breathtaking sunset, and the Broncos game (including Manning's 509th touchdown!)
This trip took me to sunny Los Angeles, California, and it was an amazingly productive and memorable time. I traveled with a colleague who is also a good friend, and it was great to attend the training together to have someone else to discuss some of the things we were learning (and some of the frustrations as well!). We grew in our friendship, had some really nice conversations, and also enjoyed some down time watching HGTV in our hotel room. One perk was that our room overlooked the courtyard and pool, where we would spend our quiet time in the mornings.

I was also able to connect with a former student and his family two of the nights after the training had completed for the day. It recharged me so much to spend time with such lovely, kind people, and it also encouraged me to see that the connections I make in the classroom with my students and their families are lasting and meaningful. Those relationships are some of the most rewarding parts of teaching and being reminded of that helps me get through some of the drudgery involved with other parts of my job (such as trainings...)
The second time at the ocean was with my colleague and another teacher from her school. After the second day of training, we took a $5 shuttle bus to Manhattan Beach, where we relaxed on the sand next to the waves for a bit before finding a hole in the wall sports bar to enjoy dinner, a breathtaking sunset, and the Broncos game (including Manning's 509th touchdown!)
Tired after a long day of training...
This message on a utility box near the bus stop seemed quite fitting and
bolstered our spirits for the final half day of training:
Oh yes, the business trip…training...that's right. For all the fun I had in the evenings, the days were long and full of arduous work. I did come home with an increased understanding of the program that the training was for, and the confidence that we are on the right track at my school and in the district. All in all, the trip was a very positive experience, and one that will remain with me for a long time for so many reasons.






.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment