The summer was good and we fished a lot, which is not to say that there were a lot of fish, but it wasn't a bust, so we everyone was pleased about that. We also enjoyed some of the nicest weather I have ever seen for Kodiak, followed by some of the yuckiest weather I have experienced there.
From the end of June until July 20, it didn't rain once and we had beautiful sunny skies every day. We played on the beach, went for walks, went tidepooling, splashed around in the chilly ocean water, had campfires, went for boat rides, pretty much did lots of fun stuff in between our fishing responsibilities. After July 21, we had a few weeks of rain and big storms, but we enjoyed ourselves nevertheless and played with Karamea in the cabin. We were able to enjoy a few sunny days before I left at the beginning of August and we had the chance to pick salmonberries and make salmonberry jelly, which was one of our goals for the summer.
Another big highlight of the summer was celebrating Karamea's first birthday. She did great and had a really fun time playing with (not necessarily eating) her cake and opening presents. Right around her birthday, she started taking her first steps between people. She's not quite to the point where she will just get up and walk around, but she is on her way.
It is always hard leaving at the end of the summer because the family has such a nice time together and it is just a great lifestyle, but this year was even harder because I had to leave Mark and Karamea. Bear came back with me and Mark will be staying a few more weeks to help with the fishing. Since I will be going back to teaching, we decided that it made more sense for Karamea to stay there and come back with him. It was hard leaving her, but I know she is in great hands.
I've compiled a short slide show with some pictures from this summer; I hope you enjoy this little peek into our life!



1 comment:
I'm so glad you had such a good summer in Alaska. Thanks for sharing the pics - they're great!
Post a Comment