Monday, March 22, 2010

Both

Friday was my last day of teaching before maternity leave. Even though I am now officially on leave, I had a few things to take care of at school today. I spent about half of the day there, meeting with my substitute, making copies, and having a few last minute meetings.

But the most memorable part of today happened even before I changed out of my pajamas and thought about going to work. Karamea was sitting in her high chair eating breakfast, I was next to her sipping my coffee at the table, and Mark was getting something in the kitchen before joining us. I asked Karamea for a hug and she responded warmly, arms open wide. I leaned in and was reveling in the enthusiastic embrace when she said one word: "Both." I looked up and she was pointing at Mark. He swooped in and we enjoyed a minute or two of pure joy--a whole family hug complete with kisses and laughs. She was so happy and so were we.

It occurred to me later in the day that "both" could possibly be the theme of my maternity leave--time for both Mark and I to embark on another adventure together. I am happy and oh so grateful for this time to relax and focus on our family, to connect with Mark and look forward to welcoming our new daughter, to spend time together and lavish our daughters with love. I am so blessed to have such a wonderfully loving and supportive partner through this, and in all of life, really. I never thought about what an incredible concept "both" is until my 20 month old daughter so aptly pointed it out this morning. Thanks, Karamea. I love you.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That's so sweet! You're very blessed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...