I'm sure it has been over a month since my last post...and that my faithful (albeit few) blog followers are hankering for some word on how we are doing here in Alaska. I won't be able to include pictures with the post because of limited bandwith on our friends' satellite internet service, but at least I can paint a picture of what our summer has been like so far. I'll be sure to post a lot of pictures once I get back into town in late July.
We spent about a week in Kodiak waiting to load our supplies on the boat and then flew out to the fishing site. The guys flew out two days before my mother-in-law, the girls, and I did to get some of the stuff set up for fishing. We have only had three openings, which is below average. The fishing hasn't been great this year, but that is OK, and even expected since there are generally cycles of good and bad years of fish returns.
Karamea and Kaylee have both blossomed in the time since we've been here. Karamea loves going outside to throw rocks, go on boat rides, catch fish, and explore on low tide. You should hear the new words and phrases she has acquired since arriving! Kelp, cockle shell, helicopter, banya (Russian term for sauna), cod, Alitak (the name of one of the boats that picks up our fish), net, cabin, cannery, 4-wheeler, "catch fish", and eagle. She is starting to form sentences and communicate much more effectively. Having her older cousins around (as well as Grandma, Grandpa, and her Uncles and Aunt) has been really fun for her.
Kaylee is growing and settling into more of a routine, as well as smiling, cooing, laughing and squealing a lot more, so that makes us all happy. As I type this she is laying next to me, kicking, squealing, and smiling as she looks at the birds in the mobile above her as she wakes up from a nap.
One extra special highlight since we have been here is sighting a pair of killer whales (or orcas, if you prefer that term) coming through the bay. The female has a torn dorsal fin, so we know it was the same pair we see every year. This year, they came through at about 10:30 in the evening and we hopped in a boat and went the same way they were (at a respectful distance). I managed to get a few good pictures and short video clips despite the low light.
The weather has been pretty cool--I don't think we hit 50 degrees before June 20th. Today it has been in the high 40s and rainy. This is pretty average, but it seems dreary compared to the amazing stretch of sunny days that we enjoyed last year.
Even though I am enjoying myself and relishing this time with family, my joy has been tempered by the fact that my dad's health isn't doing well. But I am grateful for technological advances and love the fact that I can use the satellite phone to call my parents every day or two. We don't get a signal for long, but the short conversations (up to 8 minutes at times!) are great to share news and keep in touch. I will be returning home with Kaylee earlier than initially planned because of changes in his condition, but I'm not sure yet how soon.
That about sums up what we've been up to. We still have a lot to look forward to:
-The annual summer church service on July 5th
-Gathering with a bunch of families from around the bay to celebrate Independence Day on the 6th. We were fishing from July 2nd through the 4th, so had to postpone the celebration. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll be able to travel the hour it takes to get there.
-Karamea is eagerly anticipating her birthday on July 22. Any time we have cake, she chimes in her sweet little voice, "Happy Birfday Karamea." And when we ask her how old she will be, her response is, "Old." Gotta love an almost two-year-old.
-A bumper salmonberry crop on the way. We're planning on picking some and bringing the juice back to make preserves.
We hope that more fish return to the rivers and that we will have some more time commercial fishing. I hope that you are having an enjoyable summer and look forward to catching up with you in person or online once I'm back!

We spent about a week in Kodiak waiting to load our supplies on the boat and then flew out to the fishing site. The guys flew out two days before my mother-in-law, the girls, and I did to get some of the stuff set up for fishing. We have only had three openings, which is below average. The fishing hasn't been great this year, but that is OK, and even expected since there are generally cycles of good and bad years of fish returns.
Karamea and Kaylee have both blossomed in the time since we've been here. Karamea loves going outside to throw rocks, go on boat rides, catch fish, and explore on low tide. You should hear the new words and phrases she has acquired since arriving! Kelp, cockle shell, helicopter, banya (Russian term for sauna), cod, Alitak (the name of one of the boats that picks up our fish), net, cabin, cannery, 4-wheeler, "catch fish", and eagle. She is starting to form sentences and communicate much more effectively. Having her older cousins around (as well as Grandma, Grandpa, and her Uncles and Aunt) has been really fun for her.
Kaylee is growing and settling into more of a routine, as well as smiling, cooing, laughing and squealing a lot more, so that makes us all happy. As I type this she is laying next to me, kicking, squealing, and smiling as she looks at the birds in the mobile above her as she wakes up from a nap.
One extra special highlight since we have been here is sighting a pair of killer whales (or orcas, if you prefer that term) coming through the bay. The female has a torn dorsal fin, so we know it was the same pair we see every year. This year, they came through at about 10:30 in the evening and we hopped in a boat and went the same way they were (at a respectful distance). I managed to get a few good pictures and short video clips despite the low light.
The weather has been pretty cool--I don't think we hit 50 degrees before June 20th. Today it has been in the high 40s and rainy. This is pretty average, but it seems dreary compared to the amazing stretch of sunny days that we enjoyed last year.
Even though I am enjoying myself and relishing this time with family, my joy has been tempered by the fact that my dad's health isn't doing well. But I am grateful for technological advances and love the fact that I can use the satellite phone to call my parents every day or two. We don't get a signal for long, but the short conversations (up to 8 minutes at times!) are great to share news and keep in touch. I will be returning home with Kaylee earlier than initially planned because of changes in his condition, but I'm not sure yet how soon.
That about sums up what we've been up to. We still have a lot to look forward to:
-The annual summer church service on July 5th
-Gathering with a bunch of families from around the bay to celebrate Independence Day on the 6th. We were fishing from July 2nd through the 4th, so had to postpone the celebration. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll be able to travel the hour it takes to get there.
-Karamea is eagerly anticipating her birthday on July 22. Any time we have cake, she chimes in her sweet little voice, "Happy Birfday Karamea." And when we ask her how old she will be, her response is, "Old." Gotta love an almost two-year-old.
-A bumper salmonberry crop on the way. We're planning on picking some and bringing the juice back to make preserves.
We hope that more fish return to the rivers and that we will have some more time commercial fishing. I hope that you are having an enjoyable summer and look forward to catching up with you in person or online once I'm back!

2 comments:
It's so good to hear how you're doing in Alaska. Sounds like your having a great time and some quality family time. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. You'll be in our prayers.
Good to hear how your summer is going! Thanks for the postcard-it's on our fridge. :)
Looking forward to hearing more stories and seeing pictures of your adventures. If you'd like to share the salmonberry preserves I would not complain.
As always your family is in my prayers.
Take care,
Jen
Post a Comment