Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A helter-skelter start

Our (hastily-taken) annual departure photo
This year's photo was taken with the self-timer and set on the trunk of another car in the airport parking lot. Pictured: Mark, Kendra, Karamea, Kaylee, Merrick, Bear, 1 extra large dog crate, 2 strollers, 3 coolers, 1 huge duffel bag, 1 child back pack, 2 day packs, 2 diaper bags, and 3 car seats.

I cropped in to show the family a bit closer, but the fact that it is off-kilter helps tell the story of how our journey started this year, so I'm leaving that part as is.

The original:

And previous years' photos: 2009, 2010, and 2011

And now for the rest of the story...oh, where to begin...

We woke up at 3:30 and were aiming for a 4 am departure from our house to the airport. I think we finally hit the road at ten after four, and things went pretty smoothly. We rented a Suburban to fit our crew and all of our stuff this year, and that worked out pretty well. Our plan was that we'd park at the airport, haul our stuff in and check in, and then Mark would drive out, drop off the rental, and take the shuttle back. We'd meet up, breeze through security, and be on our way. Easy peasy, right? 

Not so much.

We hit our first snag when we got in and saw there was quite a line for Alaska Airlines...and read that the ticket counters didn't open until 6 am. It was 5:45. Oh. Good thing we did online check-in. At 6:05 said Alaska Airlines agents sauntered out from behind the counters. We waited somewhat patiently while they went through the rigamarole of checking our bags, car seats, and dog. Then Mark raced off to return the car.

Keenly aware of the time clicking by, and feeling that we were a little behind in the process, I set off for security with the three kids. We ate a quick snack of yogurt and then I went to get in line. There are three security checkpoints at the airport, and as I started to head for the line, I was kindly informed by a TSA agent, that the elevator at the one I had chosen was BROKEN. My options were a) navigate stairs with two toddlers, one infant, two strollers, and three bags or b) make a break for another security checkpoint. 

I chose option B and hoofed it toward the checkpoint on. the. opposite. side. of. the. state airport. Somehow, I made it through security with all three kids, managed not to lose anything, and no one was crying (not even me!) You should have seen it all piled up on the conveyor belt to be scanned. I think we took up the entire length of the thing.

No sooner had I tied my shoes, and I got a phone call from Mark that he was already through security and had taken the train to our terminal. Great. I had hoped we would rendezvous before taking the train. I hopped on the train, met up with Mark, and made our way to the gate, which, incidentally, happened to be at the far end of the terminal. We never stopped moving, because as soon as we walked up, they looked at us and said that we could get on for early boarding now. Whew. We made it. Barely.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I came down with a cold the day before we left and had a weak voice and was feeling miserable. But once we were on the plane, I felt a huge wave of relief and even though I didn't feel better, I knew we would make it. Mark and I both commented that we felt a little bit like we had just completed a leg for the Amazing Race. The flights weren't perfect, but after that crazy couple of hours at the airport, I can't complain. We made it to our destination 14 hours after leaving our house tired, but on time, and were even alert enough to head down to the local crab festival and enjoy some well-deserved fish and chips. 

It was definitely a memorable, if not a bit aggravating and exhausting, journey this year. I don't think words can really express the extent of it. But we made it. 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

Phew! That sounds like quite the ordeal! I can't imagine how stressful that was, but I'm glad you all made the flight and got to Alaska safely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...