Saturday, January 25, 2014

Slow Cooker Venison Burgundy

This is a recipe that I loved growing up and it remains a family favorite. I made only a few slight modifications from the recipe my mom used when I was a kid. I often prep this meal the night before and put it in the fridge overnight to save time the next morning. It is so easy to just pull it out, start the slow cooker, and walk away!
Confession: I forgot to take a photo when I actually served dinner, so I just took one with my phone of the leftovers in the pot...I'm definitely not a food blogger. For what it's worth, I mostly post recipes here for my own reference and the few people who might want to try them out.

Beef, Venison, or Elk Burgundy

8 slices bacon
2 pounds steak cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp Italian Herbs or Herbes de Provence
ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp marjoram (I omit, simply because I don't have this herb)
1 beef bouillon cube, or 1 tsp beef Better than Bouillon
1 cup red wine (I use whatever we have on hand, doesn't have to be burgundy)
1/2 cup water (or less, if you like it with less sauce)
1/4 to 1/2 of a medium onion, sliced
6-10 medium mushrooms, sliced

(optional: 1 garlic clove)

1. Chop bacon, then cook until partially done. Remove and place in slow cooker. Reserve drippings in the skillet.
2. Coat meat with flour and brown on all sides in the bacon drippings.
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the mushrooms, in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
4. 15-30 minutes before mealtime, add in the mushrooms and turn heat to high.

Serve over rice or noodles. Makes about 6 servings.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...