Saturday, January 18, 2014

Vegas Vacation, Part 4

Day 5 - January 2, 2014 - Lake Mead National Recreation Area 
on the way to Valley of Fire State Park

When I asked for suggestions for places to see on our trip, numerous friends recommended the Valley of Fire State Park, which is about an hour North of Las Vegas. Since Mark's parents were staying at Lake Mead, we decided to make a loop and drive North through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, through Valley of Fire, then shoot back down the interstate to Las Vegas. It was such a great day, and the scenery was so beautiful, I only wish we would have had more time. I could have easily spent a few more days hiking and exploring the area.
The drive through Lake Mead National Recreation Area was really scenic and we stopped a couple of times to get out, take photos, and explore.
One of our favorite spots along the way was Redstone Picnic Area. The kids had so much fun scrambling around on the rocks, and we soaked in every beautiful minute that glorious sunny morning.
 This picture gives a good idea of the size of these enormous outcroppings:
 Uncle Kris helped Merrick climb a bit, and then Merrick tried scrambling around on his own.
And here is a picture of the whole crew. It was so fun to be together having fun and making memories. This is the only picture I have of the entire group, but I think there was one more taken on someone else's camera the day we went to the Hoover Dam.
And all of that was just on the way to our destination! I have a ton of pictures from the rest of our day, so I will do a separate post for Valley of Fire State Park.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...