Day 3 - December 31, 2013 - Grand Canyon
Since many of us had never been to the Grand Canyon before, and it was only a couple hundred miles away, we decided that it would be a good opportunity to drive that way and take a look. Even though I was dreading the four hour trip (each direction!) in the car with the kids, I also really wanted to at least see the Grand Canyon for the first time, too. We only took two breaks on the way there, and the kids actually did really well.
This was my first glimpse of the Grand Canyon, and I can honestly say that I was so awe-struck that I had tears in my eyes. Even though I have seen heaps of pictures before, there is no comparison to being there in person.
For being the middle of winter, there were still quite a few people there, and I heard a handful of different languages being spoken. I was so thankful to be there when the temperature was comfortable and not swelteringly hot. We walked around and took some pictures at some of the main lookout spots, then headed to the Visitor's Center. Before we left the park, we stopped at a less populated vista and snapped some more photos as the sun sank in the sky.
The experience at the second stop was so different than the first and I was so relieved to have the calmer, less busy spot be the last impression I had of this beautiful place. Maybe we'll return there someday and spend more time hiking and exploring, but at least I can say that I have seen it now.

Since many of us had never been to the Grand Canyon before, and it was only a couple hundred miles away, we decided that it would be a good opportunity to drive that way and take a look. Even though I was dreading the four hour trip (each direction!) in the car with the kids, I also really wanted to at least see the Grand Canyon for the first time, too. We only took two breaks on the way there, and the kids actually did really well.
![]() |
| 264 mi, 4 hours 1 min |
The experience at the second stop was so different than the first and I was so relieved to have the calmer, less busy spot be the last impression I had of this beautiful place. Maybe we'll return there someday and spend more time hiking and exploring, but at least I can say that I have seen it now.











No comments:
Post a Comment