Oops! I forgot it was Friday yesterday! This week's Friday Find: A fruit snack lodged in my child's nose
Quite honestly, I'm surprised this rite of passage in motherhood didn't come earlier. I have officially removed a foreign object from the nostril of one of my offspring. I. am. Mommy. (Don't get me wrong, Daddy helped plenty in this situation too. We are quite the dynamic duo.)
Yesterday on our drive back from the zoo, Karamea suddenly sounded quite alarmed, "I have a candy in my nose!" She kept trying to get at it and we kept her calm by telling her to sit on her hands and that we would help her as soon as we stopped. (These tactics worked surprisingly well with our very freaked out two and a half year old!) Thankfully, we were already off of the Interstate and after pulling into the first parking lot we could, I hopped out looked up her nose.
Oh boy, this was it. A veritable test of motherhood. I coached her to blow, to no avail. Mark handed me his Leatherman, pliers out and at the ready. (Oh my goodness! Could it be that I was actually going to have to use a Leatherman tool on my eldest daughter!? Don't be alarmed, no children were harmed in the making of this post.) That didn't work really well either, so we returned to blowing while holding the other nostril shut and after a few tries, the offending fruit snack was free. Whew!
Karamea was a champ and stayed really calm, even when the Huge Hunk of Metal (aka Leatherman) was delicately reaching up into her nose. Afterward, we were having "The Talk" about where food does and doesn't go and she looked over at Kaylee and with a voice of great wisdom said, "Kaylee, fruit snacks are only for your mouth. Not for your nose."
So there you have it, my Friday Find. Oh, and we had a blast at the zoo. It was a great day: the weather was amazing, the girls were enthralled (this was the first visit for both girls), and we were all relaxed and enjoying ourselves.
OK, so we didn't take very many pictures and this was near the end of our time at the zoo. We were all pretty tired by this point. Kaylee was giving me a huge hug, which she does when she's ready to sleep.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised this rite of passage in motherhood didn't come earlier. I have officially removed a foreign object from the nostril of one of my offspring. I. am. Mommy. (Don't get me wrong, Daddy helped plenty in this situation too. We are quite the dynamic duo.)
Yesterday on our drive back from the zoo, Karamea suddenly sounded quite alarmed, "I have a candy in my nose!" She kept trying to get at it and we kept her calm by telling her to sit on her hands and that we would help her as soon as we stopped. (These tactics worked surprisingly well with our very freaked out two and a half year old!) Thankfully, we were already off of the Interstate and after pulling into the first parking lot we could, I hopped out looked up her nose.
Oh boy, this was it. A veritable test of motherhood. I coached her to blow, to no avail. Mark handed me his Leatherman, pliers out and at the ready. (Oh my goodness! Could it be that I was actually going to have to use a Leatherman tool on my eldest daughter!? Don't be alarmed, no children were harmed in the making of this post.) That didn't work really well either, so we returned to blowing while holding the other nostril shut and after a few tries, the offending fruit snack was free. Whew!
Karamea was a champ and stayed really calm, even when the Huge Hunk of Metal (aka Leatherman) was delicately reaching up into her nose. Afterward, we were having "The Talk" about where food does and doesn't go and she looked over at Kaylee and with a voice of great wisdom said, "Kaylee, fruit snacks are only for your mouth. Not for your nose."
So there you have it, my Friday Find. Oh, and we had a blast at the zoo. It was a great day: the weather was amazing, the girls were enthralled (this was the first visit for both girls), and we were all relaxed and enjoying ourselves.
OK, so we didn't take very many pictures and this was near the end of our time at the zoo. We were all pretty tired by this point. Kaylee was giving me a huge hug, which she does when she's ready to sleep.


4 comments:
Oh wow! Way to go super mom! Last fall Merek was at VBS and came home complaining that his nose hurt. I asked several questions as to why. But later I found out that the little pick guy at the end of a pencil was the culprit. Fun times, fun times!
You're right I got a really good chuckle out of this one!
Did you go to the Denver Zoo?
Sorry. Pink guy, not pick guy! :-P
This almost had me in tears from laughing. Not because I think its funny for poor Karamea. But man, you tell a good story.
My sister had to go the doctor because the pencil eraser in her nose got infected. So gross. I am proud to say I never got anything stuck up my nose.
This was too funny Kendra! What a great story! Not long ago Colin stuck a peanut up his nose. At first I didn't believe him, but realized that there actually WAS a peanut in his nose. I was so worried! But we were able to push it out and also had "The Talk" with him. Silly kiddies
Post a Comment