I was looking through some of the last pictures from the summer and was reminded of some memories I wanted to post here so I don't forget them. As the summer drew to a close, Karamea and I traveled back together, leaving Mark and Kaylee in Alaska for another three weeks. This was my first time being away from Kaylee for so long, and even though I didn't cry when I left, I felt like I left a piece of myself behind as our plane took off from the choppy waves. I can't imagine how military families feel when they say goodbye to their loved ones for who knows how long...My heart goes out to them and I have a deep respect and gratitude beyond words for the sacrifices they and their families make for the sake of freedom and safety.
 |
Relishing a hug before we would be apart for three weeks
 |
 |
| It was a bit too breezy for a decent family portrait... |
A funny thing happened on the flight into town. Notice that the mic on the headset is up on the picture of Karamea below. Well, about halfway through the hour-long flight, she overheard the conversation between the pilot and me through the headphones, and after watching us talk (and probably seeing me adjust my mic), she pulled her mic into place and started babbling into the mic like a baby who just found her voice. I think the most often uttered phrases were, "I love you, Mama.", "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.", "Uh-huh", and "Neeeeeooowwwmmm." (Imagine the sound you make when you're imitating a plane.) I'm sure it wasn't the first time this had happened for the pilot during a flight, but I found it simultaneously thrilling and slightly embarrassing. At least we were the only two passengers. Mostly, I was impressed at Karamea's ability to figure it out on her own and overjoyed at her innate curiosity about things around us and how they work.
 |
| Little girl in a big seat--the poor girl couldn't even see out the window! |

No comments:
Post a Comment