Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye 2010

I sit and gaze out of our front window at the snow falling peacefully this quiet New Year's Eve morning (OK, not so quiet, Kaylee just woke up...will have to continue this later. It is quiet outside, anyway...)

So where was I? Oh yeah. Snow falling outside the window, reflecting on 2010. And the years gone by. This marks the third year of saying goodbye to the old year and welcoming the new on my blog, so I read my posts from December 2008 and 2009. And while I was at it, I re-read this post I wrote at the end of July about life as a journey. I noticed that I never really stated any New Year's resolutions before, nor did I really delve into the experiences of the year. Well, this time I am going to. My apologies if this ends up being lengthy; it has been one doozy of a year and writing is one of the ways I process life's happenings.

Top Ten memorable events of 2010
(note: memorable does not equate to best)
1. My dad's passing
2. Kaylee's birth
3. Pop's memorial service (3 weeks after he passed)
4. Celebrating Karamea's 2nd birthday
5. Traveling to and spending the summer Alaska as a family of four plus dog; regular satellite phone calls from there with my parents
6. Potty training Karamea (not really an event, more of a process...)
7. Whale watching in Alaska
8. Computer hard drive crash and losing some videos of my dad's last few weeks of life
9. Getting involved in Bible studies again (one for women and one for couples)
10. First time trick-or-treating with the kids
*Bonus* 11. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, and really, this is more of a side note...I turned 30 this year! (I seriously did almost forget this...my birthday was 2 days after Kaylee's and we were still in the hospital.)

It was a big year in so many ways, from the
expecting and welcoming a life into our family, then seeing the decline of another and saying goodbye. The bulk of my physical and emotional energy has gone into being a mom and wife, and between that and teaching full time, I haven't had (or made) a lot of time for reflection. Something that surprised me through it all is the overwhelming sense of peace and gratitude that I have for everything in my life, even the challenges. Even when I get down and really miss my dad, I cycle through lot of feelings in which I start out feeling sad and end up being overwhelmingly grateful for the relationship I had with him, the fact that we lived nearby and could see each other often, the way he lived longer than ever expected to based on his diagnosis, the positive outlook on life and upbeat attitude he modeled for our family, and the list just goes on.

As I thought about my hopes for 2011, and how I have tried to live my life over the years, the phrase "In everything give thanks" came to mind. I looked up the verse, just to refresh my memory. This led me to reading the entire passage of 1 Thessalonians 5:12-24, from which I am drawing my resolutions for the coming year. According to Thomas W. Currie, on the website for the journal Interpretation, "First Thessalonians 5:12–24 is a passage that is full of advice, instruction, and encouragement aimed at a rag-tag group of Christians trying to live out the gospel in an indifferent if not hostile culture." Sounds a pretty close to home, doesn't it?

Here's the text, in case it is hard to see in the picture:
12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

If you've stuck with me this far, thanks. I want to wish you the best for 2011. May you be richly blessed.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...