Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Walk in the Woods

In order to take full advantage of the three straight days of sun we've been enjoying in Kodiak this Memorial Day weekend, I took the girls on a walk in the woods behind M's parents' house Monday evening. It was also a very convenient way to tire them out before bed. We had a glorious time! The sun was streaming through the branches, and the birds and my girls were just chirping away. I snapped some pictures and then handed the camera over to Karamea to take some pictures herself.
 An attempt at catching a picture of all three of us.

The view over my shoulder.

Karamea trekking


Karamea's shot of Kaylee and me.
After this, Karamea got a little camera happy and started taking pictures of everything she liked: the moss, the sticks, the path, the bushes, the trees; you get the idea.
I was impressed with how this tree picture turned out:
 As we returned home, she asked me to take another picture of her in front of the house.
And now, as I finish this post and prepare to publish (it is now 2:30 pm on Tuesday), our flight has been on weather hold since 10 am due to fog and high winds down on the South end of the island. Looks like we'll be here for a while, and I don't expect that we'll be doing any hiking-that is, unless we plan on wearing our galoshes and rain gear!

Update 5/31/11 8:45 pm: We got a call around 3:00 that they would be at our house to pick us up in 15 minutes. We scrambled and gathered the rest of our stuff together, I woke the girls up from their naps, we loaded everything into the van shuttle and rode down to the float plane docks. We waited while they checked on the weather and watched as the fog got lower...and lower...We even loaded into the plane and waited some more while they checked again. Finally, about 4:45, they canceled the flight because the weather wasn't looking good around the island. Which was fine by us, because we didn't really want to fly with the weather as marginal as it was. So they brought us back to the house, we unloaded everything, and went out to dinner. Then I got the girls to bed and I will follow shortly, saying prayers for good weather tomorrow. After checking the forecast, it seems that we could be in for more waiting. Here's a picture (taken with my phone) of the scene at the float plane docks this afternoon before we left:
It's pretty much the story of our lives all summer: Hurry up and wait. But that's part of the adventure of it all and adds excitement. That said, however, I am still chomping at the bit to make it down to our fishing site and see Mark again. I miss him-even though we've only been apart since Sunday morning.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...