Sunday, November 30, 2014

Overflowing with Thanks

Day 1: thankful for a lazy Saturday after a month with weekends that were packed to the gills. 
Day 2: thankful for the extra hour and that my kids actually slept in!

Aaaand that's where my list ended this month. It's not that I lacked gratitude, more that I lacked the focus, time, and energy required to keep track of all I am thankful for. Despite my lack of posting my daily thoughts of gratitude, it is there, unwavering and strong, firmly rooted in my faith and hope in Jesus.
 
The past couple of years, I was very intentional about selecting one thing I am thankful about each day and posting about it on social media, then compiling my thoughts here in a weekly digest.
2013: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4                 2012: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 

I didn't do that this year, and while I am still filled with gratitude and joy for everything in my life, I kind of missed the practice of focused gratitude. Something about making it a habit of choosing one thing made me notice all of the little things around me I have to be thankful for: moments spent with my family, living life with my husband and best friend by my side (even when things are stressful and hectic!), interactions at work with colleagues and students, a thriving church family that holds me accountable and encourages me to grow, looking back and seeing how much I have learned over the years in all areas of my life, the wonders and beauty of nature, the list just goes on...
source  
I love how an attitude of thankfulness just makes me overflow with joy, and I find it especially centering to focus on gratitude throughout the whole month, considering the barrage of advertisements and materialistic emphasis during the month leading up to Christmas.

Since I wasn't very focused about gratitude this year, I already have a few ideas of what I might do next year during the month of November to focus my thoughts a little more. Perhaps a personal gratitude journal, weekly posts here on my blog, writing notes to people I am thankful for? I have been wanting to read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts for a few years now, maybe I will put that on my summer reading list (since I don't do much personal reading during the school year!)  

I made a calendar last year with free scripture printables and this has been the image I have seen on my kitchen wall every day this month; it makes me smile and it is so true!
I hope this finds you filled to overflowing with thanks for everything in your life and that your blessings are too many to count!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love that even though this year you may have fallen short in being able to concentrate and focus daily on a specific thing, you still have a grateful attitude that is rooted in your faith, and that's what it's all about! I like your ideas for next year too...I may have to steal one of those! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...