Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankful, Week 4

Thanksgiving was pleasant. We had a wonderful day with family at my mom's house. The girls enjoyed helping out when they could and even though it was a hectic morning preparing the meal, we enjoyed the time with the family and had a lot of laughs. We didn't go around the table and share what we're thankful for as we have in the past, but I know we were all there with a thankful spirit.

I'll only post through the end of November for this Thankful series, but I will always continue to give thanks. At the end of 2010 (a year which includes some of the worst times of my life) my reflection on the year had a lot to do with being thankful no matter where you are in life, and that is what I strive to do every single day. I meditated on 1 Thessalonians 5, but verses 16-18 stood out to me in particular: "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
Always look on the bright side of life. 
A grateful spirit is contagious. 
I have found that the more I give thanks, the happier I become. 

I think I always knew these things, but I never understood how truly powerful gratitude and a positive outlook are until the end of Pop's life. 

He was an exemplary role model for optimism and thankfulness. Even in his final days, he expressed appreciation for so many things and maintained a very positive outlook, given the circumstances and how weak he was. He loved orchids, and a number of the orchids I had were in bloom at the time, so I brought them and we surrounded his bedside with them. Mom had a new set of really nice sheets, and we put them on his bed. In true form, he quipped, "Man, why did I wait until I was dying to live like this?!?"

These memories of Pop seemed particularly relevant as I reflected on gratitude and I wanted to make sure I wrote them down, because I don't think I have yet. I definitely don't want to forget them. Things were just too raw when it all was happening two years ago and with four month old Kaylee around too, I didn't have the time or the emotional capacity to write about what happened or how I was feeling. I don't think I could have summoned the words, I was in such a fog. Part of me wishes I would have, and other part knows that it was part of my grief process to stay silent here during that difficult time in my life.

Alright, on to my last 8 days in 30 Days of Thanks:

23: I feel absolutely blessed to live in the same town as my mom. I'm so grateful that we have as many impromptu visits as we do and that she joins us for dinner at least once a week. The high pitched squeal of a toddler proclaiming Grandma's arrival has to be one of the happiest sounds there is.

24: I am so thankful for the technology that helps me connect with friends and family near and far. It is so nice keeping up to speed on everyone's lives on facebook and I had the most wonderful Skype call with my host family in Germany this morning!

25: I am thankful for snuggle time on a sunny afternoon with my littlest one before putting him down for a nap. Words can't express the joy and contentment...and maybe just a hint of bittersweet over how quickly he is growing...

26: Thank goodness that Mondays only happen once a week! I'm also thankful that my 2 year old's animated way of retelling a story can make me smile and laugh even when I have a wicked headache. 

27: Thankful for a day that exceeded my expectations. It was a pretty darn good day, which surprised me just a little bit!

28: I am thankful for my job. It has its ups and downs, is often stressful, demanding, time consuming, and tiring, but it also challenges me in ways that make me a better person and provides me with the opportunity to help others in a meaningful way. That is what it is all about.

29: I am thankful for pictures that make me laugh every time I look at them. The elk looks like it is smiling! (I am also thankful that we will have elk meat this winter!)

30: As the month of thanks draws to a close, I am thankful that there is so much to be thankful for. I am thankful for every day. Every. Single. Day. Four months before his death, my dad told me that every morning he woke up, he said, "Thank you, Lord!" Here's to living life with a grateful spirit, come what may.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
--Albert Einstein

Those who thank God much are the truly wealthy. So our inner happiness depends not on what we experience but on the degree of our gratitude to God, whatever the experience.
--Albert Schweitzer

Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...